Monday, January 12, 2009

Peep Into The Closet


A lazy afternoon, my Monday started at 12 :D. I decided to clean up my closet, since there was nothing better to do- well that’s not entirely true (with hundreds of assignments and their deadlines impending ), but to stay away from books this was a pretty good excuse.

I am a neat freak , but this only remains a reality till one gets to peep into my closet , as I dump all the mess from my room inside it . This creates an illusion of orderliness in my immediate surroundings: P

I opened a drawer-----long forgotten pieces of receipts ,tattered greeting cards in all colours possible , photographs which I took in the old old times when digital tech. was still far away and in which I stood wearing the then “HS” and now “LS” fashion , junk jewellery and the oversized hoops – now corroded and entangled , just like everything else around , the numerous studs, the anklets , the stick-on tattoos with incomprehensible designs – which were very central to the then incomprehensible phase of my life .

Right at the corner , a bundle of paper was resting - almost yellowish now , a red threadbare rubber band tied around it . It was my collection of letters, and my collection of memories .In Life, I have been lucky to meet a lot of people ,and to make a lot of friends out of those and also to collect a lot of goodbyes. This bundle was a memoir of those people and those goodbyes.

I sat on the floor ,with the floor now as messy as my closet, and I read each one of them. There were “ Why I will miss you ?” notes from my Mgt. Trainee batch of the previous organization – (this was an exercise done to improve our teamwork and people quotient during our training , but it def. had much more significance ….so much of it that after 3 years I still preserved it and cherished each word ). We were a closely knit gang , spent 25 hours of a day together :D
I read each word, remembered each one of my friend and each moment of the most wonderful 2 months of my life.
I smiled and I laughed , I remembered and I missed , and I enjoyed myself on this lazy afternoon in my hostel room . It took me sometime to decipher few signatures on those notes, of those whom I am no longer in touch with - those who were buddies before and now are just another name on my “orkut” list .

Then there were other letters, some even from my school days – "the corny ones", the "I am sorry ones" , "the confessional ones" , the overtly "sentimental and/or hilarious" ones , the ones which were “important” for survival in our teenage, and the ones which were the lifeline of our gossip sessions all night long . I spent an hour going through them – and it was an hour spent well , there was indeed nothing better to do than this , today on this lazy Monday afternoon.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

A lazy afternoon spent reminiscing is an afternoon well spent indeed...You made me nostalgic.

Rag said...

tat was definitely Nostalgic!!!
Those dumps in the closets really help doesn't it???
Seriouslyy.. an interesting n innovative way of peeking back into the past!!!!

btw... this was refreshing!!! :)

P.S: Really liked your profile quote- "Initially used to write what i observed , now I observe coz I love to write" ...impresseed!!!

Ritu K. said...

hey poo dat was a nice one.. great way 2 go lekhikaji.

nea said...

you are lucky you have so many memories to collect... :)

Neha Hans said...

well, ur post reminded me of beautiful memories i had ... it has has been quite successful in making me nostalgic about memorable times spend with friends .... quite a gud one dis is !!

umangexuberance said...

reminds me of my forbidden drawer back home...and my overflowing diaries, with more lose tiny winy papers falling out of it than it was ever meant to have... May be I'll spend the coming weekend, going through all those forgotten pages of my life..

pooja said...

glad that you all like it and i could create the nostalgia ...thnku :)
cheers

Apurva Agarwal said...

Ah!!.. nice..post..well memories are the only paradise from which we can never be expelled...your post really proves that...i guess you should clean your closet .. more often..:)

Karthik said...

Sometimes, memories are all that we've got. And it helps if they are good ones at that :)

radiohead said...

hmm .. old memories ..

I always miss that .. infact I think I dont have a single letter .. never been a letter writer :(

I am sure written letters are much much better then thousands of emails ..

YogeshDugar said...

well i believe "peep into the closet" is the best amongst all you have written so far...
nt only coz it made me searched all my old bday gifts which always come with one letter frm my close friends... bt also it made us realize how with improved means of communication like internet, (specially orkut) and mobile.. the true essence of message what people use to communicate write in a letter 10-12yrs ago is lost somewhere...
too good.. jst keep going...

pooja said...

@yogesh and anuj...thnks , i agree no electronic medium can do what a simple piece of paper can...
@ apurva..if this is the excuse then , i def. shall keep peeping into my closet often 4 sure ..:)